|High Country adventure awaits you. Explore the Omeo Region via four-wheel drive, motorbike, mountain bike, horseback or by foot on the Great Alpine Walking Trail. Take time out and enjoy the activities such as fly fishing, white water rafting, or simply relax at one of the historic cattlemen's huts. Have a hit of golf, visit bookshops and galleries. Visit the towns for great things to do – Villages & things to do
Omeo is at the gateway to Victoria's highest ski resort, Mt Hotham, known as Australia's powder capital. The approach from Omeo along the Great Alpine Road offers the most reliable access to the ski resort and is a "must" stop for chains, ski hire, winter fuel and great accommodation. Chains must be carried during the snow season (Queen's Birthday weekend to October, unless otherwise extended).
The Bogong High Plains Road is a journey not to be missed. The alpine peaks are a unique environment drenched in cattleman legend, indigenous culture, breathtaking peaks (including Mt Bogong, Victoria's highest peak) and undulating high plains.
Must see and do
- White water raft or kayak down the mighty Mitta Mitta River.
- Walk, drive and camp in the Alpine National Park.
- Tackle the many four-wheel drive tracks and river crossings.
- Fly fish the High Country streams such as the Cobungra, Gibbo and Mitta Mitta Rivers.
- Visit or camp at Taylors Crossing where you can fish, swim and walk the impressive suspension bridge.
- Walk the Great Alpine Walking Trail or experience the bi-centennial trail on horseback.
- Walk the paths around the historic oriental claims and Livingstone Creek Park and learn the history of the gold rush era.
- Head to the ski fields of Dinner Plain & Mt Hotham for great downhill or cross-country skiing or for an invigorating play in the snow.
- Whether downhill, boarding, cross country or snow play is for you, Mt Hotham, Falls Creek and Dinner Plain is a must for the snow enthusiasts, or those who wish to experience the refreshing air of the peaks during the summer months
- Hike the high plains
- Discover high country huts including the famous Wallaces Hut and Mt Cope hut
- Have a hit of golf at the picturesque Golf Courses at Omeo and Tambo Valley Golf courses
- Visit the Galleries at Ensay, Swift's Creek & Omeo.
- Pick up a local novel at the Bookshops in Swift's Creek & Omeo on the Alpine Book Trail.
- Cycle from Swift's Creek to Ensay along the picturesque Swift's Creek East Road and Ensay Doctors Flat Road following the Tambo River, taking in beautiful rural settings and passing good fishing and swimming spots.
- Take a drive through the Ensay Valley to the Moscow Villa Hut on Bentley Plain, sub-alpine grasslands and heathlands surrounded by attractive snow gums and mountain gum forests.
- Marvel at historic Washington's Winch once used by loggers to snig logs up steep hillsides or catch a glimpse of a wild brumby on the Nunniong High Plains.
- Explore the Bogong High Plains on horse back, and visit the historic huts.